Cucumber and Cream Cheese Sandwiches (Yields 20 Sandwiches)
- 1⁄2 English Cucumber unpeeled
- 2 ounces whipped cream cheese, room temperature
- 1⁄2 tablespoon mayonnaise or miracle whip
- 1 pinch garlic salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh dill, finely chopped
- 5 slices white bread, cut very thin (slice regular pieces in half if you have to)
- 5 slices whole wheat bread, cut very thin (slice regular pieces in half if you have to)
- Cut cucumber with a mandolin to make very fine slices. Lay slices on paper towels to drain.
- In a bowl, stir cream cheese, mayonnaise, garlic salt and dill together until smooth.
- Spread each slice of bread with a layer of the cream cheese mixture. Then lay cucumber slices in overlapping rows on one half of the bread slices. Top with remaining wheat bread slices.
- Cut crusts from each sandwich and then cut into quarters.
Matcha Shortbread Cookies
Ingredients (about 36 cookies):
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons and 1 teaspoon matcha powder
(peppermint flavoured matcha if you want “peppermint matcha shortbread cookies”)
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup powdered sugar
200 grams dark chocolate, cut into chunks
1 teaspoon canola oil
To prepare the cookies, sift the flour, 2 tablespoons matcha powder and salt in a large bowl.
Cream butter and powdered sugar in a bowl of a standing mixer until light and fluffy.
Reduce the speed to low and beat in the flour mixture until just incorporated.
Gather dough and form a disc. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for about 30 minutes to chill.
Preheat oven to 350F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut into rounds using a floured cookie cutter. Place on the prepared baking sheets and place in the refrigerator for about 15 minutes.
Bake the cookies for 10 to 12 minutes.
Remove from oven and let the cookies cool a few minutes on the baking sheet before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
Melt chocolate in microwave on high in 20-second interval, stirring in between. When it’s completely melted, stir in oil until combined.
Prepare a baking sheet with a clean parchment paper.
Dip half of each shortbread cookie in the melted chocolate. Let it drain off the excess, place it on the baking sheet. Repeat dipping with all the cookies.
Place the baking sheet in the refrigerator for 10 minutes to set the chocolate.
Dust with matcha powder.
Thanks to Rebecca B. for the recipe. You can check out more info about her HERE!
Healthy Green Tea Muffins with Blueberries and Pomegranates
Yield: Approximately 12 muffins
2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sugar (If you want sweeter muffins, you can increase the sugar amount to 1/2 cup)
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 cup fat free milk
1/4 cup melted butter
1 1/2 tablespoons matcha powder
2/3 cup blueberries
2/3 cup pomegranate seeds
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line muffin pans. Mix the flour, matcha powder, baking powder, salt, and sugar in a large bowl.
- Add the egg, milk, and butter, stirring only enough to dampen the flour; the batter should not be smooth. Fold in the blueberries and pomegranates.
- Spoon into the muffin pans, filling each cup about two-thirds full.
- Bake for about 20 to 25 minutes each. Or until the cake tester inserted comes out clean.