Welcome to TEA 101 where we discuss some of the basic information about tea to get you started on your tea journey.
6 Different Types of Tea, all come from the same plant Camellia Sinensis:
White, Green (Matcha), Yellow, Puerh, Oolong and Black.
Other types of “tea”, also known as Herbal or Fruit Infusions or Tisanes:
Herbal, Fruit, Rooibos, Mate.
Tea is overall great for your health. Although everyone reacts differently to tea, tea can be beneficial in many ways:
- Great for overall digestion and it boosts your immune system and metabolism.
- Contains tannins and antioxidants.
- Helps with mental focus and concentration.
- May reduce your risk of heart disease and stroke.
- May help prevent precancerous cells.
- Great for the skin, bones and teeth.
- Helps keep the body balanced, including cholesterol, blood pressure and sugar levels.
- Little to no calories, depending if you add anything to your tea.
White/Green/Yellow Tea: Bring fresh water to 80C and steep 1 tsp per cup for 1-3 minutes.
Puerh/Oolong/Black/Rooibos/Mate: Bring fresh water to a boil and steep 1 tsp per cup for 3-5 minutes.
Herbal/Fruit: Bring fresh water to a boil and steep 1-2 tsp per cup for 5-8 minutes.
Matcha: Bring fresh water to 80C, mix 1 -4 tsps of Matcha in with water and stir. Can be enjoyed cold or hot, in smoothies, protein shakes baking etc. Its a fine powder so all thats required is to mix it in.
**Timing varies based on the person and the desired strength of the tea liquor**